At an event in Mumbai on Thursday, MS Dhoni brushed aside questions regarding his highly awaited international comeback by saying that questions regarding his return to cricket should only be asked after January 2020.
- MS Dhoni has been missing in action from international cricket since the World Cup 2019
- Dhoni is expected to feature in IPL 2020
- Speculations regarding his impending comeback have been rife since he took a self-imposed break from the game
“Don’t ask me till January”, said Mahendra Singh Dhoni on Wednesday as he sought to steer clear of queries on his ongoing break from cricket, which has fuelled intense speculation about his future in the game. On Tuesday, a source close to the former India captain said he will take a call on his future after next year’s Indian Premier League (IPL).
Dhoni has been on a sabbatical since India’s semifinal exit from the ODI World Cup in England in July. He has missed the tour of the West Indies and the home series against South Africa and Bangladesh. The 38-year-old, who captains Chennai Super Kings in the IPL, will miss the limited-overs home assignment against the West Indies starting December 6 and comprising three T20 Internationals and an equal number of one-dayers.
National selection committee chairman MSK Prasad said that the panel has “moved on” and Dhoni is aware of its intent to blood youngsters. Like that Rishabh Pant keeping in mind next year’s T20 World Cup in Australia. Dhoni was seen training with Jharkhand’s under-23 team in Ranchi some days back, triggering a fresh round of speculation on a possible comeback.
BCCI President Sourav Ganguly has said that Dhoni will get the respect that a player of his stature deserves. And Ms Dhoni had ruled out an immediate retirement by the celebrated wicketkeeper-batsman. “You know champions don’t finish quickly,” he had stated when he took over as the Board President last month.
Ms Dhoni led India to two world titles. The 2007 World T20 in South Africa and the 2011 ODI World Cup at home.