Payyoli is a small municipal town on the Malabar Coast in Kerala, popular for its tasty Payyoli Chicken Fry. Payyoli chicken fry is a great starter or can also be served as a side dish with rice or rolled inside roti’s. This authentic Kerala recipe requires only a few ingredients and is a boon for working moms like me. The trick to a perfect Payyoli chicken is to marinate the chicken twice. Try this authentic Payyoli chicken fry in your kitchen. Enjoy the goodness of Kerala cuisine.
- 500 grams Chicken, cleaned and cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 2 tablespoon Vinegar
- 1 Green Chilli, slit lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon Meat masala
- 3 tablespoons Fresh coconut, grated
- Salt, to taste
- 2 sprig Curry leaves
- 3 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 100 ml Water
How to make Calicut Payyoli Chicken Fry Recipe:
- To begin making the Calicut Payyoli Chicken Fry recipe, Cut the chicken into the medium, bite-size pieces and clean the chicken with water.
- Marinate the chicken pieces with minced ginger, minced garlic, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, turmeric powder and salt. Keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- For the second marination, to the already marinated chicken, add half the Kashmiri red chili powder, meat masala powder, remaining vinegar and mix well. Keep aside for 1 hour.
- Using Kashmiri red chili powder gives a fiery red colour to the chicken fry.
- Take grated coconut in a small bowl, add remaining Kashmiri red chili powder and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan, add the marinated chicken pieces in oil along with slit green chilly. Fry well on low flame.
- Once the chicken pieces are half cooked, add the grated coconut mix, and curry leaves to it. Add 100ml water to allow the chicken to cook well. Fry until the water is fully reduced, chicken is properly fried and cooked soft.
- Remove the chicken from the fire when oil starts to leave the sides of the pan and when it is well done. Tasty Payyoli chicken is ready to be served.